About Me

My photo
About Me: First I would like to say, RIP DADDY, I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU AND MAKE YOU PROUD. Rev. L. Wilson Jan 23, 1939- January 26, 2003 In Memory of a Loving Father. Holla at ya gurl, sike nah. Wassup yall! Yall know me. I'm an alumna of Montclair S. U. now! Been one since Aug 2nd 2007. I was a Geography major and concentrating in Environmental Studies. I'm an alumna of Arts High School and a resident of Newark, NJ. I love basketball and other sports. My favorite team is the WNBA's New York Liberty. I'm a nice down to earth person. I'm also a Michael Jackson Tribute Artist.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Good Hair: A Good Documentary

Good Hair which is a documentary by Chris Rock is very informative about the knowledge of African American hair and hair in general. I love the part where he describes relaxers which is made from the chemical Ammonium thioglycolate and it is used to straighten hair. I remember my first perm or relaxer, I was about six or seven years-old. It was a sort of painful experience. It burned like hell lol but I made it through. My hair has always been course and had to be pressed with a straightening comb and curled with curling irons. So when I had to get a perm, I would rather have a perm than the heat of hot metal touching my ears or back of my neck. It was also a shorter process to go through. I was so happy to show off my nice, silky smooth hair but one mistake can damage your hair. My bad experience with a perm was having it take my hair out from being to strong. You would think I would stop, nope so addicted.
Another segment of the documentary I liked was the segment about weaves. I was never a fan of weaves but I have worn a few in my days. I first started with ponytail pieces and braiding hair. When I wore my first ponytail piece, I thought I was so fly lol until this girl yanked it clean off my head lol. I wore a few long quick weaves, wigs as well as back pieces. But nothing brings me out more than my natural hair. After watching Good Hair, they show where human hair weaves come from. It is not surprising to me that it comes from India because they have beautiful hair quality, but these people sacrifice their hair to make our hair look good.
Kudos to Chris Rock and everyone who contributed to the making of this documentary because it makes me look at hair a whole different way.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment